Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Library adherence to Adler Mission
In the service of our mission, the Library staff selects, organizes, presents, preserves, and teaches the resources that best address the current and anticipated academic needs of the our students, faculty, and community affiliates in the following ways:
- We deliver individual and group instruction in effective and efficient research skills, including the critical evaluation of sources;
- We work with faculty to integrate Library resources and instructional technology into their teaching and research processes;
- We offer excellent proactive and responsive services in support of the Adler School, the Adler Institutes, and the Adler Health Services;
- We strive for balance between traditional and emerging collection formats and service models;
- We partner with other libraries and library consortia to leverage resources for our patrons and to increase the visibility of the institution;
- We provide an intellectual, cultural, and social locus within the institution to foster the growth of community.
In addition to the institutional mission and values, the staff of the Mosak Library are guided by the principles of ethical librarianship laid out in the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association:
- We provide the highest level of service to all library users through appropriate and usefully organized resources; equitable service policies; equitable access; and accurate, unbiased, and courteous responses to all requests.
- We uphold the principles of intellectual freedom and resist all efforts to censor library resources.
- We protect each library user's right to privacy and confidentiality with respect to information sought or received and resources consulted, borrowed, acquired or transmitted. IV. We respect intellectual property rights and advocate balance between the interests of information users and rights holders.
- We treat co-workers and other colleagues with respect, fairness, and good faith, and advocate conditions of employment that safeguard the rights and welfare of all employees of our institutions.
- We do not advance private interests at the expense of library users, colleagues, or our employing institutions.
- We distinguish between our personal convictions and professional duties and do not allow our personal beliefs to interfere with fair representation of the aims of our institutions or the provision of access to their information resources.
- We strive for excellence in the profession by maintaining and enhancing our own knowledge and skills, by encouraging the professional development of co-workers, and by fostering the aspirations of potential members of the profession.
Patrons can expect courteous, respectful, and timely assistance from the staff of the Mosak Library, regardless of whether the interaction is conducted in person, by phone, or through email. All members of the Library staff are expected to maintain a service attitude at all times. No patron shall be discriminated against on the basis of origin, age, background, or views.